Name that Skaggs: The Man in the Middle

A correspondent sent in a picture of a Skaggs family c. 1927.  Can you name the family patriarch in the middle of the picture?



Another clue is he was born in Johnson County, Kentucky, but the family moved to Scioto County, Ohio.  The answer is below the fold.

The family patriarch in the middle of the photograph was William B. "Bill" Skaggs, born at Flat Gap in Johnson County, Kentucky June 10, 1868.  This photograph was taken at his wife's (Leota Barker Skaggs) funeral in Flat Gap in November 1927.

Back row, left to right:  Archibald Skaggs, John Oliver "Ollie" Skaggs, South Skaggs, Blucher Skaggs,  Ray Moore Jr., Brack Skaggs, Elmo Fyffe, Arthur Young

Middle row, left to right:  Beula Skaggs wife of Archibald, Sarah Pelfrey Skaggs wife of "Ollie" and baby Imale Skaggs, William B. Skaggs, Dora Skaggs Fyffe wife of Elmo Fyffe, Katherine Skaggs Young wife of Arthur Young, Milda Fyffe daughter of Elmo and Dora Fyffe, Vivian Louise Skaggs and Sterling Skaggs and Truman Skaggs children of "Ollie" and Sarah Skaggs.

Front row, left to right:  Julie Moore daughter of Ray Moore, Hildreth Mae Skaggs daughter of "Ollie" and Sarah Skaggs, Milda Fyffe daughter of Elmo and Dora Fyffe, Vivian Louise Skaggs and Sterling Skaggs and Truman Skaggs children of "Ollie" and Sarah Skaggs.

William B. Skaggs was the great-grandson of Old Peter and Martha Skaggs through Peter, Jr. and John D. Skaggs.

10 comments:

  1. To the correspondent who sent in the picture of William B. Skaggs and family. Do you know if the middle initial (B) stands for (Burns) ? Or something else ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Uncle Les, Grandson of William B was told at a young age that the B stood for Billy. I find it hard to believe as it is somewhat a nickname for William. However given the other first names in the family, it may not be so unusual after all.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for feedback. I am just attempting to find out why my great grandfather Lewis Manford Skaggs (1871-1945) named his son (my grandfather) Burns. Lewis son of Peter III grew up in the flap gap area as well. I am a sure that your William (Bill) and my Lewis being first cousins had many adventures together growing up. Do you know of any other past names of (Burns) that was in the John D Skaggs immediate family ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check my records. First name Burns doesnt ring a bell. There are some classics though; Delmar, Blucher, Earsten, South, Forest, Brack...
      I have in my possession William B Skaggs Bible. It is nearly 100 years old and the pages are fragile so I havnt opened it up yet as I want to do it when I have a lot of time to scan and preserve in case there are personal writings of interest. If I find anything I will be glad to share.

      Delete
    2. William B was 28 years old when his grandfather, Peter Skaggs Jr., passed away. There might be something in that bible about Old Peter that William B heard directly from his grandfather.

      Delete
  3. Ok, if William B was born in 1868 and was 28 yrs. old when Peter Skaggs Jr. passed away. That would mean that Peter Jr. didn't pass away until 1896 ? Is that correct ? I cannot find any documentation on Peter Jr. past the 1870 Johnson Co. census. If there is death documentation on Peter Jr., please advise when convenient. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 1870 census is the last documentation I have. I believe Familysearch has a 1894 death date but I don't see any documentation.

      Delete
  4. Thanks....I will check it out. I do know there was a Peter L Skaggs , (Son of Lewis, grandson of Old Peter) who dies in 1893.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I was researching my Skaggs line and working on adding some people from the DNA results I received from Ancestry.com when I ran across William B & Leota's family. I was wondering if there was any family story surrounding her death. If you would rather email me, you can at pieces_ofthepuzzle@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

    Jackie Branham-Wilkinson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone have a birth date (with documentation) on Peter Skaggs Jr. son of Old peter Skaggs ?

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts