Who was this Charles Skaggs?

There's been a flurry of recent activity researching early Skaggs in the Northern Neck counties of Virginia.  A 1731 record has been found of a Charles Skaggs in Stafford County, Virginia witnessing the signing of a will.  This Charles was likely born prior to 1711 making him a contemporary with James Skaggs, father of the Long Hunters and the Aaron Scaggs from Maryland who married Susannah Hyatt.

The record of interest is from a will dated 9 October 1731 for William McCarty where he specifies his heirs as his wife, Mary, and five children with Benjamin McCarty the eldest son.

STAFFORD COUNTY VA WILL BOOK M; 1729-1748; THE ANTIENT PRESS, p. 53
In the Name of Cod Amen the 9th day of October in year of out Lord God 1731 I WILLIAM MACCHARTY of County of Stafford Planter being very sick in Body, but of perfect Memory .. ordain this my Last Will & Testament
.. first of all .. I recommend my Soul into hands of God and my Body I recommend it to the Earth .. as touching worldly Estate I give & dispose of the same in following manner .. I give to MARY my Dearly Beloved wife and Five children all my Catty, hoggs, horses & mares and desire that it should be equally divided amongst them, and I desire that all my houshold goods may be divided in the same following manner Equally amongst them and I desire that my Dearly Beloved Wife Mary should be possessed with the said Cattle and every thin; that I hath until such time that my Eldest Son BENJA. McCARTY be of age to take it into his possession until such time he comes of age. Wm Maccharty his mark
Presence: Jos Steel, Wm. kelly, Charles Skags
At Court held for Stafford County 10th May 1732 Last Will of William Machardy deced present'd by Mary Macharty his Widow .. Mary made oath .. further proved .. admitted To record & the said Mary .. having performed what the Law requireth Certificate given for obtaining Letters of Admon
Notice Charles Skaggs witnessed the signing of the will along with Joseph Steel and William Kelly.  The map below shows where Stafford County is within Virginia:


This Charles Skaggs could have been from either the R1a Skaggs family, e.g. Aaron Scaggs and Susannah Hyatt, or the R1b Skaggs family since both families had a documented presence in Northern Virginia and Southwestern Maryland c. 1700.  We know he wasn't Charles Skaggs the Long Hunter since they appear to have been from two different generations.  We don't think he was the Charles Scaggs from Prince George's County, Maryland who was the eldest son of Aaron Scaggs and Susannah Hyatt since Aaron Scaggs was documented to have been in Prince George's County, Maryland c. 1710.  Who was he?





1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Sarah Skaggs Witten is Charles' daughter? In the Little Clifty United Methodist Church History book, it is written that Sarah Skaggs Witten's father was Charles Skaggs, whose lineage can be traced back to 1674 to her great-grandfather Thomas Skaggs who was born in Tazewell, Virginia. If so, this would make Robert her grandfather. -Donna S

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts